Wednesday, April 2, 2008

That Bjork Cover Album

Our friends over at Steregum have a little more pull in the music industry than I do, and they asked a bunch of their fav artists who are relatively unknown to do covers of a Bjork album. I am going to admit to 2 things right now: 1) I don't like Bjork. 2) I don't like the covers. That said, its a fucking amazing album for other reasons. It seems to me that stereogum is using the album to predict music trends by identifying the bands that have (as we always say in fashion) "fresh" sounds. I guess I'm falling behind the new cool sounds, because a lot of it just doesn't work for me. It is largely atonal and non-melodious with dissonance and free flowing sounds ruling the album. I am going to continue to try to listen to it to get involved with the new sound, because as with all new things, it takes time to adjust, so I should break out of my comfort zone and try something new. Its funny because when it comes to clothes, I leap forward embracing trends to which people have violently negative initial reactions. Ex: high waisted jeans, skinny jeans, and shoulder pads (i know everyone is shuddering at that one).
I am extremely curious to hear what other people think, since i think some of my friends are more open minded musically. Not that any of you would ever comment, but still, a girl can hope!

<3 The Elephant

No comments: