Thursday, April 10, 2008

Female Folk: It Doesn't All Suck

In this age of female singers like Feist and Cat Power, the competition is fierce (another fashion word) to be in the mainstream. I am not a huge Fesit fan, and I outright dislike Cat Power, Amy Winehouse and Duffy. Not because I think that they lack talent, but because it just isn't my taste.

I can't remember if I have already written about Basia Bulat, but I think that her music is richly spread across many instruments and modes of expression. She speaks to me in a way that not many of the others can throughout most of her music. Some of it isn't my favorite (December, off of Oh, My Darling) but on the whole I think she is terribly under-rated and underblogged. I am dying to see her live after I missed seeing her open for St. Vincent in February. Word on the street was that she killed it on stage, but I wasn't there. I always like interesting instrument use, and she def does that. So listen to this song and let me know what you think. (Haha...comments).

In the Night


Basia Bulat plays with Devotchka May 5th at Terminal 5. Her album Oh, My Darling is out on Rough Trade Records.

She also has a Daytrotter Session here.

<3 The Elephant

No comments: