Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Stumbled upon an interesting band...

As per usual, I can't remember where I got the name of this Brooklyn based band, but I wish I did. Ching Chong Song sounds like a high school musical, recorded in the gym, where the vocals are oddly far away, and the old lady plays the piano at church also. Her favorite will always be accompanying the high schools' talent shows though. The humor and whimsy to which I am always oddly attracted lushly flows out of each of their songs, but in a serious and sermon-like fashion. "Start Your Engines" is among their less experimental, and more commercial sounding songs. I mean this in the best way, because I think that an experimental band needs to have a couple of songs that are good "soundtrack" songs, songs that people who are fearful of new, fresh sounds can relate to. Much like Beirut's "Postcards From Italy", they act as a gateway for the listener into the more dynamic music that the artist has recorded.
CCS's myspace describes themselves as having a "cabaret/parlor room" sound. I do agree with this, but I just keep picturing a high school production of a musical. You should take a listen, share your opinions, and come see the show with me July 26th, at the Polaroid Party.

Little Naked Gay Adventure is available at CDbaby.com

No comments: