Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Concert Review: Sunset Rubdown at Mercury Lounge

Well folks, it's fall in New York, and we all know what that means: a new concert season. Typically starting at the beginning of September there are more shows than I have time to attend, but this season I wasn't up for it. Fortunately friends were on their game and got me tickets to shows that I would probably like to see.

I have seen Sunset only a few other times, and usually I really like them. They lack the professional polish of Wold Parade, and its completely charming and wacky (much like their music). But this time something was amiss. D and A blamed it on the audience, but I think that good audiences often reflect good acts. This is certainly not a hard fast rule, but its usually pretty safe. So I am going to divide the blame for this in half: 50% lame ass audience, 50% band fault.

Although the sound was good, I felt like there were a few too many unfamiliar songs (and I like to hear a new song or two, its a little hard to really enjoy entirely new music from an old favorite.) That said, the new songs did leave me with high hopes for the next release, which I think is as yet unscheduled. I also felt a general lack of enthusiasm from them, like they weren't really that excited to be hanging out with us. Possibly because they played the night before at Music Hall of Williamsburg?

Despite my usual harsh and critical review, I still will go see them at every opportunity, and I still think they have some of most interesting music out there right now. So you should go see them, and buy their CDs. For that matter, buy a tee shirt too. Lets support Canada.


<3 the Elephant

No comments: