Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Concert Review: The Dodos w/Au

There isn't to much to say about the Dodos, its always the same. They get on stage, and start playing, and I think, my god these guys are SO incredible. It just never gets old. They are so tight. Anyway, see all of my previous reviews, they are going to sum up last night's show. Also, I guess the lead singer Meric Long has mono, but I seriously would have NEVER guessed. They also played a new song or two, both of which left me with high hopes for their next album.

Au on the other hand wasn't really what I had anticipated. That's not to say they weren't good, just that I had expected a 5 piece band with an orchestrated approach to their craziness. In reality, it was a two piece set up with an experimental jam approach. This means that I could only vaguely identify about a third of their set. I did really enjoy the songs that I recognized, but it was a bit spacey for my taste. They def rocked out, but I value their studio recordings because they are so unique and admirably complex, which I didn't feel translated well in the live show.

My brother has a running list of "the best songs in non-standard meters" (assuming that 3 and 4 beats per measure are the basis for 99% of all non-classical music). So far it looks like Outkast is in first place with "Hey Ya" which is in 22 (according to him, not sure if I believe that) and Radiohead's "Everything in its Right Place" in 5. It should be noted that 5 is a tremendouly underused meter in rock music, it really lends itself to a unique sound. Just my opinion.

No comments: