Monday, March 17, 2008

Fuck Buttons (and snaps and zippers)

When I fist heard Fuck Buttons i loved them, until they got into that screetchy business during minute 5 of "Sweet Love For Planet Earth". I must admit, that amid the hype, i'm falling prey to their sound. I really like the more melodic, soft sounds but they do get sort of heavy and grating. I see a strong trend in elctronica moving towards more industrial sounds, and I'm trying to see if I can like it, but so far its a slippery slope. I do like some atonal things and dissonant bands (Menomena, eh?) it is going to take some getting used to for me, but I think I will come around.
I am a person that like small venues, and new bands (its actually one of my biggest faults that I never listen to old music). I am on a constant quest for the album that I can't stop playing, and sadly i only find about 1 a year. Thus I will settle for songs that i play obsessively unfortunately for my roommates. Although, I think they do tend to come around to the songs i subject them to, sometimes it takes some cajoling.
At any rate, nothing makes me happier than when a band i have been subjecting people to for months becomes big. I want to hear them in ads, at bars and see them on MTV (except I don't have a TV). A lot of people don't feel this way, but I can't understand why. Why not earn a living doing something that you love and get the respect you deserve? I don't think you can go into something like music and be in it for the wrong reasons. Its too much work and just such a blistering display of your soul, not to mention that it is asking for people to criticize that which defines you. Explain to me how this is appealing?
This is one of the many ways in which fashion and music are different. Tennis players, actresses and socialites all have licensing deals, and many of them have albums. Lets not confise these albums with the music that I am referencing. I am talking about people who thrive on creating new, unique music, not people who are churned out by a marketing machine.
At any rate, check out Fuck Buttons and decide or yourself.

<3 The Elephant

No comments: