Thursday, May 8, 2008

Lykke LI, again


Hot Shit. Courtesy of her MySpace.

Well folks, today is a big day. Its thursday. That means that tomorrow is friday, and there its the last day of work this week. Thank God. This has no relation to anything to do with the title, so I will talk a bit about Lykke Li again.

I stumbled upon her again on some music blog somewhere, and I gave her a third re-listen. I really do like her sound, it is pretty. Lets be honest, there is a stereotypical Northern European Nordic sound, you know the one, with off-kilter female grumbly vocals, building layers of sound, and a sense of really intense serenity. Silje Nes and Lykke Li both embody these attributes, but while Nes is a bit downtrodden and melancholy, Li has an upbeat, happy sound. It's almost as if she is happy on the other side of a dark window, so we get the idea that she's excited, except we can't quite experience it ourselves. Maybe that is a terrible analogy, but I'm standing by it. When I find a really, really good song/artist, I get this knowing rush in my blood. I can feel it immediately. With Lykke Li I don't quite get that feeling, but I seem to be trying to feel it. Hopefully it just needs to grow. Her songs do all sound sort of similar, not that thats bad, but it is somewhat true. Check out her myspace link above and be your own judge.

No comments: