Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Concert Review: Cut Copy w/Black Kids


Cut Copy, Melbourne

Black Kids, Jacksonville

So I schlepped to Greenpoint. On a Tuesday. Why? Because I couldn't miss this line up: Mobius Band, Black Kids and Cut Copy. I couldn't quite get my shit together to be early, so I missed Mobius Band, which was a major let down (they were holding the line outside, it was sort of absurd). But I will see those guys soon, I'm sure of it.

Black Kids went on around 10:20, and I was struck by how young they look. Brother/sister duo Reggie and Ali Youngblood are an awesome on stage team, although Ali sort of steals the show. With her rich doo-wop vocals, gold AA hot pants and killer dance moves, she was everyone's focus. Her chemistry with keyboardist Dawn Watley is also remarkable, lending a very Supremes-esque flavor to the show. Although their sound is essentially 80's pop-dance, they make it feel new, young and vibrant. Although I wasn't totally feeling it for the first few songs, they broke out "I'll be your Limousine" and I think most of the audience was grooving after that. Although they were a bit sloppy, and the sound quality wasn't perfect, I think these kids had fun, and they are worth checking out.

Much like LCD Soundsystem at Randall's Island, Cut Copy completely stole the show at Studio B. They didn't hesitate about dominating, they just schooled the audience. They came out, and the entire crowd just started dancing. It was a proper indie dance party, the indie dance party of my dreams. It was literally not possible to hold still, the need to move was captivating. Everytime the crowd sort of calmed down, frontman Dan Whitford stepped in. He wasn't going to let us forget that this was the party of the month. Together, he and keyboardist Tim Hoey kept us pulling and alive. It was unstoppable and electrifying. Dynamic. It was easily one of the best shows I have seen in the last two years. I always feel that way after electro dance shows though, because of the adrenaline and sweat. And endorphins. Anyway, if you haven't yet, check out this Aussie band's In Ghost Colours.

<3 the Elephant

p.s. Studio B is hipster heaven. Or vanilla hell.

No comments: